Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The New Normal - The First Day of School at GWA!


Today was my first day of school at George Washington Academy.  The bus arrived EARLY, and was at our stop at 6:36 AM . . . ulgh!
36 years of teaching . . . another first day!
Looking very official

Waiting at the bus stop . . . view from our 5th floor apartment

The first thing I did upon getting to school was to take a walk.  We arrive at 7AM, so I have plenty of time for a mile walk around the track before school starts.  I hope to make it a habit; I actually heard the rooster crowing on the walk!

Buses lined up, near the track, ready to go and get the students


It was great to see all the kids, very excited and looking forward to a great year.  Over the past few weeks I have worked hard fixing up my room and preparing various documents.  The next few weeks will be spent arranging our small groups; ESL, Reading and Learning Resource (me) and doing other administrative work.

Yep, that's me!

My desk area

Book shelves with various teaching items

Four small desks and one table with smaller chairs

I hung a string curtain that I brought from the States. (Watch out, Kevin, you used to get tangled up at Canterbury!)

My job at GWA is learning resource teacher in lower school, as well as head of the department.  So, about 50% of my time will be spent teaching, and the rest doing other tasks (that's the plan, anyway).

Here are some pictures from around campus . . .



View of the lower school from the track

Staff housing and administration

Wall around campus; you can see animals right near the wall; on a clear day the ocean can also be seen.

View of campus from staff housing; crane/view of new library/admin being built
Expansion:  building of the new library/admin 

Pretty campus

It was a great first day!

2 comments:

  1. happy your most recent, first day,went so well.hope each day is more of the same.proud of you,happy for you,and love you as always.pappy.

    ReplyDelete