Saturday, August 27, 2016

The New Normal - Casablanca Beaches

Let's face it, there are beautiful beaches in North Carolina.  Richard and I especially love Wrightsville and Emerald Isle at the Cheney's. In addition, I think that Siesta Key in Sarasota (where my parents live) is probably the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, with its white, pristine sand.  Since I love to walk the beach, I was anxious to start exploring the shores of Casa.

The first beach I went to was Darbouzza, which is the opposite direction as our apartment from school.  This is a community where a number of GWA faculty have chosen to live.  You really need a car to live out there, as shopping is not convenient.  I got to experience this beach because our "graduation party" was held at a home there.  Danielle's place was beautiful, including a lovely patio with lots of green.

I enjoyed watching the surf at Darbouzza, but I would hesitate to swim there due to the seaweed in the water and other debris on the beach itself.  However, I did enjoy my walk with Jan and Martha.

Judy at Darbouzza


Jan at Darbouzza

Martha with a smart head cover (strong sun here)

Pretty surf
We finally got to visit Anfaplace today, a 10-minute cab ride from our apartment.   There is a nice mall there, Anfaplace Mall.  The mall is kind of American in style, with many shops and restaurants. H&M was a decent store, and I ended up buying some clothes there.

You can walk through the mall and come out onto the beach.  There are cafes and beach clubs that line the seafront "boulevard de la Corniche".  The beach clubs offer day memberships for visitors, so you can use their pool and a more private beach area.  However, I found the public area has a very nice beach and I would definitely swim there.  The water seems clean, had no seaweed, and only the random small shell.  The sand is brown and relatively trash-free.  I ran into some young :-) GWA teachers down there who enjoy surfing in the large waves.  There are a number of pick-up soccer games going on, as well as volleyball nets.  I had a pleasant walk and next time I plan to swim!


Clean water at Anfaplace

Foggy morning and not many people around

Judy at the front of the Anfaplace mall area

Great surf

Pick-up soccer game

Rocks near the edge of the beach area

Judy beach selfie

Looking left

Looking at the buildings from the water

Water wan't too cold; felt good on my toes.  I'll be swimming the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment