Sunday, September 18, 2016

The New Normal - Moroccan cats, dogs, and other animals

Dogs are NOT man's best friend in Casablanca.  

I had heard before coming to Morocco that pets, especially dogs, are not popular here.  Although the Muslims that live here are mostly very kind, they do consider street cats and dogs "unclean."  However, I have seen the occasional dog on a leash being walked by its owner.  These dog owners are mostly American or European, although I have seen Moroccans out with their pets as well.  There is actually a dog washing place a few doors up from our apartment, and a large vet around the corner.


Mostly, though, the many cats and a few dogs in our neighborhood are strays.  They tend to be dirty (even the cats are not clean) and likely have diseases like parasites, having received no vet care.  I've seen a number of pregnant cats; there's also not much spaying and neutering going in Morocco.  In addition, it is unlikely these animals will ever be adopted; this is simply not a part of the culture in general.  

But the amazing thing is that these cats and dogs are almost all very sweet and they seem to enjoy human contact.  In that respect, I would not consider them "feral" in the strictest sense of the word.  People leave bowls of water and food out for them, and pet them.  I am not afraid when I encounter one on the street and I have come to enjoy seeing them hanging around.  They kind of keep me company as I walk the city streets.

I do feel bad that they are dirty, often hungry, and have diseases.  I love animals and I wish I could fix the situation, but I know I can't.  So, I try to look for the sweetness in them, and I pray for their welfare.

Dog resting in the sun

Dog resting in the shade

Dog resting in the shade of a truck on our street
Cat blending in around the corner
Cat with Kittens in the Marrakech medina
Cat sleeping in front of a door of a nearby candy shop


Other Animals:

Donkeys and horses can also be seen around town.  They mostly pull carts that carry produce and other items I think for poorer people.  They seem to have a docile nature and manage to remain calm even in heavy traffic.  Goats, cows, sheep, chickens, and roosters can be seen in the fields, especially in the area where GWA is located and in other locations on the outskirts of Casa.  I've seen small birds and pigeons in the city, and egrets on the school grounds and at the beach.  I have yet to see any wild animals, except birds, in Morocco.  We saw also saw some camels when we visited Marrakesh, although they were set up just for tourists.


Donkey cart in Marrakesh

No comments:

Post a Comment